Switch to Paperless Billing
Switch to Paperless Billing

Court Process

This information should not be construed as providing legal advice. If you have any questions or concerns, please consult with an attorney. Rose Hill court clerks, prosecutors or the judge cannot give you legal advice.

At Rose Hill Municipal Court, all people and their property will pass through a metal detector before entering the courtroom. No weapons of any kind are allowed in the courtroom. All knives, razors, chemical sprays, and weapons will be seized.

Paying fines and fees

If your violation has a specified fine amount, you can choose to pay fines and fees prior to your court date. If any violation charged on your traffic ticket specifies “Court,” or “MAC,”, you must appear in court for arraignment on your Notice to Appear date.

Pay your ticket in person or by mail

You may send a personal check or money order made payable to the City of Rose Hill for the total due for fines plus court costs to:

Rose Hill Municipal Court
PO Box 185
Rose Hill, KS 67133

You may also leave payment in the 24-hour drop box located in the brick area on the city side of the Rose Hill City Hall.

Arriving to court

Rose Hill Municipal Court is located at 125 W Rosewood, Rose Hill City Hall.

When coming to court, be sure to bring all of the information that pertains to your court case with you. This may include proof of insurance, a valid driver’s license, proof of restitution, proof of completing a class, a drug / alcohol evaluation, or other information.

Please view the TV screen in the rotunda upon entry into the courthouse for first appearance arraignment.


At arraignment, you will appear in court and enter a plea for your charged violations. You can enter a plea of:

  • Guilty – You admit to having committed the act charged. The judge will order a fine, jail time or other sentence.
  • No Contest – You do not contest the city’s charge. The judge will enter a verdict of guilty and order a fine, jail time or other sentence. A plea of no contest is not an admission of fault and cannot be used against you in a civil proceeding.
  • Not Guilty – You deny guilt, which means the city must prove our charge. Your case will be set for trial or a pre-trial conference with the city prosecutor to see what options are available to you.

Right to an attorney

You have the right to be represented by an attorney in all cases at Rose Hill Municipal Court. If you are charged with an offense that may result in jail time, you must decide whether to proceed with or without an attorney. If you would like an attorney but cannot afford one, the court will appoint an attorney to represent you.

We cannot advise or represent private citizens or entities. If you are seeking personal legal advice, please contact a private attorney. You can use the following resources to find an attorney:

Entry of appearance

If you would like your attorney to appear in court on your behalf, they must file an entry of appearance. We require entries of appearance to be submitted in writing to kmetcalf@cityofrosehill.com, or faxed to 316-776-0262. The entry must contain the attorney’s Kansas Bar Number.


If you are accused of a crime, our diversion program allows you to possibly avoid a conviction. In diversion, you enter into a contract to comply with certain conditions. Infraction citations are exempt.


Under Kansas law, you can be brought to trial only after a complaint or traffic citation has been filed with the court. In a trial, the burden of proof is on the city to prove that you are guilty of the charges outlined in the complaint or citation. You have the right to be represented by an attorney or you may act as your own attorney.