Chief of Police for City of Rose Hill, Kansas
The City of Rose Hill, Kansas seeks a dedicated and energetic professional to serve as the next Chief of Police of the City of Rose Hill Police Department.
The Rose Hill Police Department operates with 9 full-time certified police officers and 1 full-time administrative assistant/court clerk. The adopted 2022 budget for the police department is $899,465. Rose Hill is a growing community of 4.185, located within the Wichita Metropolitan Area. In 2021, Rose Hill was #9 in the Safest Cities in Kansas and #10 in 2020.
The Chief of Police is appointed by the Rose Hill Mayor, subject to consent by the Rose Hill City Council. The City of Rose Hill is a Mayor-Council-Administrator form of government with five at-large City Council members and a directly elected Mayor. The Chief of Police is an exempt position reporting to the mayor.
The ideal candidate will have proven law enforcement experience in both the field and supervisory/management areas. Honesty and ethical application of law enforcement methods and service is required. The Chief of Police is expected to provide a proactive and engaging leadership style that seeks continuous improvement and community engagement. The ideal candidate will have an appreciation for a small community and the challenges and benefits associated with law enforcement in a small community. Residency within the city limits of Rose Hill is required within six (6) months of employment and must be maintained.
The ideal candidate will be a patient and experienced leader, willing to train and develop a relatively young workforce.
The Chief will need to be accessible to the public and eager to collaborate and partner with other agencies. The Chief will be active within the community and will frequently interact with various groups and businesses within the community. The Chief is expected to have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be willing to communicate with staff and the community in an open and experienced manner.
Essential Job Functions (sample of duties)
- Plans, organizes, and directs the daily activities of the Police Department
- Maintains law and order, and provides protection of life and property of the citizens of Rose Hill
- Regulates traffic and pedestrian crossings
- Maintains Police Department records
- Confers with citizens and city officials on law enforcement issues
- Assists in the development of municipal law enforcement policies, and analyzes operational and service demands
- Prepares and administers the department budget
- Hires and supervises department personnel
- Coordinates city law enforcement activities with other agencies
- Develops and enforces department policies and procedures
- Develops and enforces safety procedures and practices
- Resolves citizen and personnel issues
- Prepares and completes reports
- Responsible for the acquisition and maintenance of department in equipment
- Ability to testify in court
- Implements polices and programs at the request of the governing body and/or City Administrator
- Oversee municipal court administrative and security activities
- Attend City Council meetings and other required after-hours activities and prepare reports and make presentations
- Select, train, discipline, and evaluate employees and resolve employee complaints and grievances
Experience: Six or more years of law enforcement experience, with four or more years of progressive supervisory law enforcement experience. Other relevant work experience may be considered.
Certification: State of Kansas certification as a Police Officer or ability to attain such certification within one year of appointment. Annual in-service training is required to maintain certification.
Education: A four-year college degree from an accredited United State college or university is required. Work experience may be substituted for education.
Driver’s License: Must possess a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Kansas or eligible to obtain one within six months of appointment.
Residency: Must reside within the limits of the City of Rose Hill within six (6) months of starting employment date to provide adequate on-call and/or emergency support.
Background: Successfully complete a personal, financial, employment, academic and criminal background check.
Essential skills (sample of expected skills)
- Budgeting and fiscal management
- Federal, state, and local laws and ordinances
- Law Enforcement techniques
- Law Enforcement supervision
- Must qualify with firearms
- Operate communication equipment and law enforcement equipment
- Interpret data to complete and check reports and documents
- Development and enforcement of department policies and procedures
- Anticipate and understand problems
- Read and interpret manuals, legal documents, reports and written and oral instructions
- Possess excellent public relation, supervisory, organization and oral and written communication skills
- Personnel training
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information, data or records obtained through or because of employment with City.
- Independent problem solving
- Effectively encounter problems with personnel, citizen concerns, budget issues, equipment operations and planning, elected official concern, and life-threatening issues faced by officers and citizens
- Mange stressful situations
- Appropriate decision-making abilities when to use force, including deadly force, making arrests, investigating crime scenes and accidents, and performing daily duties in a safe and efficient manner
- Financial accountability
- Ability to make a positive impact through frequent contact with the public, co-workers, and department personnel
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions that may contain a risk of personal injury
- Understanding that job requirements may not follow a routine work schedule and may be required to work holidays, weekends and/or nights and subject to call backs/in
- Occasionally lift an/or move more than 100 pounds
- Must be able to stand, sit, walk, run, crawl, and climb
- Must be able to operate objects, controls or tools listed above
- Must successfully pass city drug/alcohol test
- Must successfully pass city physical testing for the position
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary is negotiable, based on qualifications. The position is Exempt by FLSA. In addition to salary, the City of Rose Hill offers a competitive benefits package, including up to 80% paid for health care, dental, and life insurance. This position participates in Kansas Public Employees Retirement System.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and comprehensive resume to Kelly Mendoza, City Clerk, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled with first review of applications on October 14, 2021. Confidential inquires are welcomed to Ms. Mendoza at (316) 776-2712 or to email@example.com